Thursday, February 25, 2010

Front cover

The Whinchat is one of my favourite models - beautifully designed by Mother Evolution and always showing off in interesting poses. I was a bit unhappy about the dull background when I was done with this painting but Magnus Billqvist did the layout of the front cover in a way that makes the painting come out of its boundaries and talk to us. It has struck me many times that a painting's ability to communicate with the viewer depends a lot on how and where it is shown and not just on how it is painted.

7 comments:

Lluís Sogorb said...

I agree with you that this is a bird that offers many possibilities to the artist. I particularly like the play of light and shadows on the bird and leaves. A greeting

Dougalis said...

Outstanding lighting Mans!

Paschalis

Jose A. Sencianes said...

Fantastic light and composition Måns!! I love this bird for drawing. Greetings from Spain

Francisco J. Hernández said...

Simply amazing !!!

Måns Sjöberg said...

Thanks a lot, gentlemen! It's a privilege to have you as my guests.

Federico Gemma said...

Dear mans,

excellent watercolor,
I think legs of little birds are always difficult to paint, in this case they are perfect.

Best

Federico

Øivind Egeland said...

I just wanted to join the group of yeasayers. A delicate painting of one of the prettiest birds around.