Thursday, August 15, 2013

Kiss this one good bye

The chemical industry doesn’t need any more Nickel Dioxine, so Winsor & Newton is reformulating New Gamboge as a mixture of two other pigments and I think the other manufacturers will too. This leaves me with a broken heart because I insist on single pigments and because I have a tendency to develop personal relations with my colors. But life must go on and while pondering what to buy when I’ve finished the tube I have – What would you choose as the one yellow on your palette?

7 comments:

Greg said...

If you have care to purchase from Daniel Smith, they still sell PY153 (New Gamboge).

Måns Sjöberg said...

Thanks for the tip, Greg! I've bought a lot so I have time to make up my mind about what to use next. Happy painting!

Helen Ström said...

Daler-Rowney has the Indian Yellow (PY153)
(I just used it in a workshop with Marc Folly, who explained the troubles with different pigments and brands' names of colors and their content that aren't similar from one make to another. He made us work with it like one of the primaries)
Good luck Måns!

Måns Sjöberg said...

Thanks, Helen! I suppose Daler-Rowney will have to discontinue or reformulate their Indian yellow as PY153 runs short. I work with it as one of the primaries too, along with Prussian blue and Permanent rose. I have no need for a cool yellow, not even when I paint lemons.

Måns Sjöberg said...

I just found Marc Folly's site. He sure knows how to use color! Very interesting paintings.

Helen Ström said...

Yes, Marc knows how to make interesting paintings in my eyes, glad you saw them!
Concerning the PY153, I saw W&N use it in their New Gamboge (but it's semi transparent.. don't know if that bothers you), same for Daniel Smiths' New Gamboge and theirs is transparent. But I haven't tried them, so I don't know the differences between them all. (It becomes complicated!)

Måns Sjöberg said...

I just made up my mind about the replacement and bought a tube of Schmincke's New Gamboge. They make it of Anthrapyramidine (PY108) which is a little less saturated than Nickel Dioxine (PY153).