Thursday, January 2, 2014

Downsized line-up

I’m constantly revising my palette, trying new colors, dubbing some and discarding others as the answer to “What colors do I actually need?”. It’s an expensive habit but I hope it makes me wise. So here is my new team: Permanent rose, Cadmium red, New Gamboge (PY108, Anthrapyramidine), Prussian blue, Ivory black, Venetian red, Raw sienna and Ultramarine blue. I use whole pans and fill them up with tube paint when they run short. The brands are usually Schmincke, Winsor & Newton, Daler Rowney and Daniel Smith. Up my sleeve I also keep an opaque gouache white for occasional use but no green because I like to mix the greens myself.

2 comments:

Oscar Solis said...

"What colors do I actually need?"

This seems to be the eternal question when it comes to painting. It's also made the fortunes of many a paint manufacturer ;)

Anyhow, good choices for the colors.


Måns Sjöberg said...

Some of the manufaturers have certainly made a fortune on me. I have tried 100-150 colors before landing on these ones.

I wonder why Ultramarine blue, Ultramarine blue (green shade) and French Ultramarine are so similar and why there is a huge gap to Daniel Smith's Ultramarine turquoise, which is green but would be a lot more useful if it was turquoise or teal. Is there no feedback or aren't they listening to it? I'll write them an email about it.