Sunday, September 13, 2015

Handmade pen

I like to try new stuff and here is something that really makes drawing comfortable. Lynn Miller, Nixa Missouri, makes these sketching pens by hand. He cuts the wood blanks for the pens, drills a hole through the center and glues a brass tube in them. After turning the wood he presses the pen parts together in the wood. His brother George - one of my watercolor students - offered me one of these pens and it took me less than a minute to fall in love with it. Also, the nibs are available in any art material store and come in different hardness grades.

3 comments:

Oscar Solis said...

Great sketch and that pen looks great. It's a curse in't it? Always wanting to try new implements. I entered the 21st century about 3 weeks ago and bought an iPhone 6 and the first thing I went looking for was a drawing app. Luckily I remembered that paper, pencils and pen were still available, didn't require lots of memory (until scanned that is) and never ate up battery life.

The simpler things. Seriously, they can't be beat.

Måns Sjöberg said...

I agree, Oscar. The world's gone digital but nothing beats a good pen, a good brush or a good paper.

Måns Sjöberg said...

And i LOVE handmade tools, because they are handmade.